Craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener problem I've replaced th...

Craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener problem
I've replaced the sproket assembly in my 1/2 hp Craftsman chain drive opener and now the unit will only runfor about two seconds one directionand then two seconds the other direction. Anyone have any tips for me?

Answer
L
7 years ago #2
Lothar

Did you ever get this problem fixed? I just replaced the same worm gear and sprocket and my Chamberlain does the same thing. It goes up about 1 foot then back down.

c
7 years ago #3
curtishume

I am having the same problem. Did you figure out what's going on?

svfixer avatar
7 years ago #4
svfixer
Wiz
Blogs: 56
Forum: 7,448
Votes: 84

When you remove the chain from the sprocket, you have to maintain the relationships amongst several items. Namely, the relative position between the trolley that works the door, and the up/down contactors.

When you take the slack out of the chain in order to remove it from the sprocket, I try to just hang it on the end of the rail, rotating as little as possible.

After I replace the drive shaft/gear assembly (the easy part) I determine whether the unit is sitting on the up contact or the down contact. The holes in the side of the case tell you which screw is up and which is down. If it happens to be in mid cycle just leave the small helical gear off of the bottom of the shaft and spin the worm gear until one of the contacts is being made.

Then re-install the chain so the trolley is in relation to the appropriate contact and only minor adjustments should be necessary.

M
5 years ago #5
MARSHALL
Fresh Member
Blogs: 0
Forum: 2
Votes: 0

I have the same problem - motor runs counterclockwise for a few seconds and then reverses for a few. If you've solved this, I would be very appreciative to hear how. The experts seem to be shooting in the dark.
Thanks,
Marshall

S
5 years ago #6
STEVEK

I had the same problem. After trying everthing recommended on the forums - nothing helped. I was about to give up, then the light bulb appeared! Check to see that your "force" controls on the back of the unit are adjusted correctly. Mine must have been inadvertantly changed. After re-setting, everything now works perfectly.

M
5 years ago #7
Marshall MORETTA

Steve,
Played with the force & other controls for hours - no luck.
I replaced the unit.
Marshall

C
3 years ago #8
CJ

I had the same problem but I just figured it out. Its the small black cap that you take off at the very beginning of disassembly, it is connected to the end of the motors turning rod, it APPARENTLY regulates the sensors. Its called the interrupter cup!!

By entering this site you declare you read and agreed to its Terms, Rules & Privacy and you understand that your use of the site's content is made at your own risk and responsibility.
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 DIY Forums