I have a Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP Screw driven garage door opener that was in...

I have a Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP Screw driven garage door opener that was installed by a garage door company. I purchased the opener several years ago but never had the time to have someone install it. So, the brand new unit is installed by these workers and "the unit does not work" I'm told. They say the motor or the electric board must be bad. They try to see me one of their openers for $300. I had a friend come over and connected the wires for the wall unit to the opener. The unit lights lite up, the light switch, worked, but when you pressed the door opener, the light came on, but no movement. After carefully, hand turning the screw driven shaft and hitting the door opener button again, the motor would turn a little, but not open the door. Any advice on this?????

Manufactured 09/08/2006
Model# 139.53992D
Serial# 37566100581

Sponsored Links
svfixer avatar
4 years ago #2
svfixer
Wiz
Blogs: 57
Forum: 7,904
Votes: 88

You're so-called garage door company probably didn't 'time' the trolley upon initial installation.

Time to call a 'better' door company or Sear's.

4 years ago #3
<email>

Sorry, I am not familiar with the word Trolley. Can you elaborate? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
svfixer avatar
4 years ago #4
svfixer
Wiz

By 'trolley' I'm referring to the mechanism that attaches to the door arm to 'trolley' the door back and forth like a 'streetcar'.

4 years ago #5
<email>

So is it possilble when they were attaching the screws and connector for each additional one, they did not line them up correctly

svfixer avatar
4 years ago #6
svfixer
Wiz

I can only speak for a chain drive unit, but the principle should be the same, the second or third assembly instruction is to temporarily position the trolley at the front of the track bar with a phillips screw driver while winding the chain (belt) around the drive gear and back to the other side of the trolley.

This also assumes that the 'down' contact switch is being made.

By entering this site you declare you read and agreed to its Terms, Rules & Privacy and you understand that your use of the site's content is made at your own risk and responsibility. Copyright © 2006 - 2018 DIY Forums